Guido Fawkes (Anonymous)SPES, the deity of hope & prosperity. Now, the newest, smallest & first ever build your own UK Political Party. Time for change in the UK, a revolution.

1) Stop the wealthy corporate and individual tax dodgers. It is easy, but the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems refuse because they and their backers dodge UK taxes too.

2) Bye bye unelected upper house (Lords) & monarch. The Queen / her progeny can be ceremonial heads of state / ambassadors & stand for election as president if they want.

3) Get rid of the class and present honours system. You are not inferior to others, nor others to you. The class system breeds nothing but bad attitude amongst us all.

4) Stop spending billions on elitist / wannabe empire projects. Put the money into the NHS, schools, universities, social care, leisure, emergency services, defence (but not aggression).

5) Abolish lower income taxes & TV licenses. Have a true luxury rate VAT. Tax money & job exports. Tax pollution. Double tax dodgers. Privatize Westminster, Whitehall & Royal Estates.

6) Reform the electoral system (a win win option does exist). Return fraudulently acquired own to rent properties to the housing market. Double the rates for empty residential property.

7) Incentivize businesses, especially those that export & contribute to tomorrow. Reform welfare, prisons, foreign policy. Make Britain Great again. or Create an Account

EU, love it, hate them
06-02-2017, 05:02 PM,
EU, love it, hate them
First, let me explain that when I say the "EU", I also include the European Parliament, European Commission and European Court of Justice in that hat.

I love the EU for what it was originally intended, for Freedom of Movement of Goods, People, Investment and Services. I agree with the EU; these things are inseparable. Brexit was about restricting Freedom of Movement of People, but that does not make sense to me, at all; we need hospital staff, we need entrepreneurs, we need workers to pick the crops, we need an influx of young people to correct the age imbalance in the UK. But most of all, it is wrong, unfair to block human beings from being part of the economic success that the UK has enjoyed from being in the EU. I love being able to drive from Portugal into Spain without border controls; oh, I admit, this is only a totally good thing if the external border with countries outside the EU is properly maintained. I love the fact that aircraft wings and engines made in the UK just go across to Toulouse in France where the Airbus is assembled. I loved being able to come from an economically strong country and being able to enjoy more for my money in a less economically a strong country, and at the same time helping the later. I loved the fact I could employ anyone from anywhere within the EU. I love the fact goods pass borders without expensive delays and bureaucracy, to the benefit of everyday consumers. I actually very much loved the Euro, being able to take money I had removed from a Portuguese ATM and spend it in Spain without having to change it. I am married, but my partner is not from the EU, but got "Schengen" permanent residency which allows them to travel freely within most of the EU member states.

What I did not like was closer political and / or judicial integration; I am not keen on the British political system, but at least it is better than some others. And as for justice, we have the finest justice system in the EU, and we really did not want to dilute or corrupt that with integration to corrupt civil law regimes. I also do not like the European Commission one little bit; for me they are a bunch of elitist nay saying oiks, in the main. There are some elements of the EC that are good but, be in no doubt, they serve corporations, not people. I also had major concerns about security with an often fluid border but, I can not say too much on this issue as it was the UK that caused many of the problems of mass refugee movements in Iraq, Libya and Syria. If the UK would mind its own military business (no problem with diplomatic pressure), the EU would not have so many refugees and with that associated security issues, and I would have a lot more to say on external EU border security.

I did not concur with UK TV interviews with pro-Brexit fishermen and farmers, as we would still have limited fish stocks and food supply competition (thank goodness). I have yet to hear of one business that would benefit from Brexit without their success being at the expense of country as a whole. I remember JCB chairman Lord Bamford saying he felt his company would be better off outside the EU, and perhaps he is right, as his exports to the EU are through distributors there, so they have a commonly used, well oiled supply chain / route, and maybe being able to trade more favourably with other countries outside the EU may more than offset the extra costs (taxes) on product bound for the EU. Maybe even Lord Bamford saw that the pound would weaken and this offset any EU taxation. But for me that is a very selfish position to take for probably little potential reward, as his staff / workers would bear the brunt of post-Brexit inflation, and most UK businesses do not export to the EU along singular well used / oiled supply routes, they supply direct to end user customers, so the Customs burden for them would be far greater than the repetitive Customs procedures for JCB.

As for immigration, we may be a small cramped island, but the fact is we need foreign workers, and we have an ageing population that needs an input of young. For me the normal economic checks and balances control immigration, along with anti-abuse legislation. I totally get it, that we need to protect ourselves against abusers like Portuguese national Adriano Guedes. In fact, for me, I could not understand why British were so against the Poles; I found them to be the hardest working, educated, most courteous / friendly people. All of the social security and other abuse I heard about seemed to be at the hands of Portuguese (not all Portuguese are abusers, of course); Portuguese women coming to the UK to marry non-EU nationals for money, so they could then stay in the UK. I remember one TV piece about a town in Lincolnshire, I think it was Spalding, where the town centre was vibrant, busy and without an empty shop in sight; yes, all thanks to Polish, Estonian, Latvian and other (even Portuguese) migrants. For me that would be great, to get to try dishes and foods from all these different countries without having to leave the country. But not everyone in Spalding saw it that way, shame.

I certainly like the fact we could attract quality students and professionals from the EU, because Britain is Great when it comes to doing business (most British businesses being very pro-EU of course). I remember one TV piece about a cleaning company that said it would go out of business if it were not for Polish workers, because they could not recruit British nationals to do the work. And yes, they paid at least minimum wage. I remember seeing a sign permanently up at the local Burger King to us; “Staff needed urgently”, and just along the road at the local VW franchise, a sign “Trainee Technician Required”; that sign was up for 6 months, unbelievable. So the jobs are there, the foreigners are not stealing them, it is just a percentage of our population do not want to work or simply do not have the aptitude. In the end the VW technician job was filled by, yes, you got it, a Pole; it seems the franchise had to recruit him (he did not steal anyone's job).

So, I am very much pro Freedom of Movement. I just would like to protect our justice system, or rather export our justice system to the rest of the EU. I want to see traditions preserved (ironically, I think the EU do a great job of this; just ask Cornish pasty makers), and I want to protect against free-loaders, abusers coming in from other parts of the EU as we have plenty enough of our own social security leeches, thank you).

As for the EU, I wish there was a multi-tiered membership system, rather than special dispensation for the UK alone, for example;
Tier 1 - Full political and monitory integration
Tier 2 - Monitory integration (the Euro)
Tier 3 - Standard Membership
Tier 4 - Limited Membership (though you lose economically more than you gain)

For me, then, when Greece was at the height of its financial crisis, it could have had the choice to leave the Euro but remain in the EU with its own currency (though this would not stop the Euro being used as the principle unofficial currency, just as Mexico and other countries often use the USD). This would also allow countries to move up or down according to their then government or finances. I think a one size fits all EU with special dispensation for certain states is not a good thing. Though, ultimately, the goal should be for a unified Europe and even world, as long as it is good for the peoples.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.